(open to non-YOCVA musicians)
The Ted Stuart Program
The Youth Orchestras of Central Virginia (YOCVA) offer scholarships that provide local youths an opportunity to learn and play musical instruments regardless of family financial circumstances.
Eligible children are between the ages of 8 and 14 and reside in the city of Charlottesville or neighboring counties. They must have the desire to learn and play one of the wind, brass, or string instruments that are used in our orchestras.
Depending on their parents'/guardians’ gross annual income, children may receive free instrument rental and/or lessons from vetted instrument teachers. If a Ted Stuart recipient auditions into one of YOCVA's orchestras or ensembles, a full- or partial-tuition scholarship may be awarded. Transportation may be provided on a case-by-case basis.
Attending all private lessons and daily practices are required. Scholarship recipients are required to audition for membership in a YOCVA orchestra or ensemble within a two-year period.
How to Apply:
1. Download a Ted Stuart Program Application.
2. Ask your social worker, music teacher, or parent/guardian to fill out the application form.
3. Have your parent/guardian sign and date the application form.
4. Briefly explain, on a separate sheet of paper, why you want to learn and play a musical instrument. You may also choose to write on a similar topic and attach it to the application form.
5. Obtain a letter of recommendation from your music teacher, band director, or someone who understands your musical potential. The letter should include information about your classroom performance, work ethic, musical interest, etc.
6. Mail completed application form and letter of recommendation to:
Ted Stuart Scholarship Program
c/o Youth Orchestras of Central Virginia
PO Box 4845
Charlottesville, VA 22905
We will mail a confirmation letter to applicants as soon as application form and letter of recommendation are received. We will make a make a final decision in a timely manner. Applications are accepted year round.
You may direct all scholarship-related questions to email@example.com.